Home Forum

Support Assistance with s3.amazonaws pop-up

I was wondering if anyone can assist with the following pop-up that keeps appearing on my phone's browser please... It says "An embedded page at s3.amazonaws.com says:" proceeding to tell me to that I've been chosen for a chance to win an iPad. Click ok to continue.

The url starts with data:text/html.

Browser: chrome
Phone: samsung galaxy s6

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Related:

#1 Ukbrtn2, Aug 21, 2016
Also, I've tried the following:

Clearing cache and data on chrome app.

Anti adware app scan shows threats to preloaded apps Instagram (threat: airpush) and Slacker radio (threats: airpush, mopub, inmobi). Tried replacing app with factory version, but scan still shows threats.

Unfortunately tried phone reset too with no luck.

#2 Ukbrtn2, Aug 21, 2016
Got any Wallpaper Apps? Use the stock Samsung browser. It has an ad block add-on available in the Play Store. Everyone should have ad blocking when Browsing. This adware can be injected on to your device.

#3 Bg260, Aug 21, 2016 Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
The same thing happened to my phone yesterday.
Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?
This also popped up:
www.launcer-apps.xyz says: Droid Turbo System Warning (2) Viruses Detected!
Is that legitimate?
@Bg260, How do we access adb locking?
Thank you,

#4 Eileenru, Aug 24, 2016
Here you go.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.adblockplus.adblockplussbrowser

Once installed you can turn it on or off in the browser settings menu.

#5 Bg260, Aug 24, 2016
Thank you!

#6 Eileenru, Aug 24, 2016
Update on mine... I've been using the adblock browser on mine since Sunday with no s3 pop-ups so far. Thanks for the assistance Bg260!

#7 Ukbrtn2, Aug 25, 2016
Good deal! I'm glad.

#8 Bg260, Aug 25, 2016
I've done everything including a factory reset. The malware is still alive and well. I'm getting a new phone, this malware is indestructible. If you have any other options, kindly let me know.

#9 pattyk999, Aug 28, 2016
I hate to hear that patty. I saw another thread where another poster is struggling with this issue too. Until we learn more about it, I think Bg260 provided a good work around. My adblock browser is very similar to chrome and still no pop-ups. Good luck. This is very menacing.

#10 Ukbrtn2, Aug 28, 2016
Is it an s6? There are other options. Have you tried Smart Switch? Some malware like Trojan Virus can imbed itself in the system partition. A factory reset does not clear that. Flashing factory firmware will.
Smart Switch has a repair feature that does just that.

There are also other adblocking browsers in the Playstore. Lightning Browser is good. It will import bookmarks from other browsers too.

#11 Bg260, Aug 28, 2016
@Ukbrtn2 I'm curious, would you mind telling me who your carrier is and if you have received any Over-the-Air updates recently?

#12 Bg260, Aug 28, 2016
Verizon... Aug 25th was my last system update. I've also wiped the cache partition along with uninstalling and reinstalling chrome.

#13 Ukbrtn2, Aug 28, 2016
Thanks.

#14 Bg260, Aug 28, 2016
I have Verizon and last update was May 5th, running 5.1. No over air updates.
I've tried ad blockers but to no avail. My concern is that it's more devious than a pop up ad that needs to be supressed. I've factory reset, wiped out cache, uninstalled/reinstalled chrome and all apps that look questionable.
I'm not savvy enough to know how to flash factory firmware (not technically inclined)!
Thank you so much for all of the assistance.
I have also attached 2 screen shots of what I'm getting.

#15 pattyk999, Aug 29, 2016
Here's the 1st screen shot

By the way, I have a Motorola Droid turbo

#16 pattyk999, Aug 29, 2016
The Verizon Motorola Software Update and Repair Tool is easy to install on your PC and easy to use. Mostly just following the prompts.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-116950/

#17 Jfalls63, Aug 29, 2016
I'm beginning to think this is a Verizon issue. Thanks for the help. I'm going to Motorola School this weekend!

#18 Bg260, Aug 29, 2016
One of the best things Verizon has going for it besides coverage are their repair tools for their major brands.

#19 Jfalls63, Aug 29, 2016
Yeah, somewhere along the way I managed to delete mine.
Saved by bacon the first time I soft-bricked though.

#20 Bg260, Aug 29, 2016
Is it a virus it always pops up on mine ...

#21 Ashley_505, Aug 29, 2016
It's not a virus in the sense that you are thinking. Its adware. Extremely annoying. Usually it will want you to download an app or something. That's about it. What device?

#22 Bg260, Aug 29, 2016

#23 Silicon Valley Crone, Aug 29, 2016
Well, it's not a Verizon problem. I just encountered it on
T-Mobile, using Chrome on my Galaxy S6, running Android Marshmallow. The ad offered me, as a Comcast user, the chance to win a new mobile phone. (Did any non-Comcast users get the same ad?) I could not kill it, and I could not use Chrome at all.

I took Bg260's advice to install adblocker, and, for the moment, everything seems to be resolved.

BTW, BG260's instructions didn't exactly work for me, since I couldn't do anything using my browser! So I used the Play Store icon and searched on 'adblock plus android' and installed the free app.

Interestingly, I'm not using the adblock browser (I'm still using Chrome), but the problem is resolved anyway! :specsdroid:

#24 Silicon Valley Crone, Aug 29, 2016
So we're back to the S6 then. Chrome is still a suspect. I can't find any other way to share a link to the Playstore. Glad you found it. Thanks for sharing.

#25 Bg260, Aug 29, 2016