Forums (Download) Forum

Support Dead Battery Help

-Edited- Did I just epically fail and posted in the wrong section of the fourm? GG me, just GG. Can someone move this?

Ok so, I overcharged my old phone and I don't want to use another battery or use wires to drain it, is there any way that I can use my computer to act like my phone and power it on? Reason why I'm not wanting to give up on it and just use my new Samsung, is because it has my authcation code for discord, which if you don't know, you can't reset it or have discord reset it for "security" reasons even when I emailed them from the same email I registered and I told them my old phone is toast... (rage mode lol). I just want to be able to power this sucker on and run my authcation app. Before you go on and say "use your backup codes", I didn't think I would NEED them.

So yeah, is it possible for my Windows pc to take control of my phone without it being on?

P.s my computer(s) don't recognize my phone

If I can't, any easy way to drain a phone's battery without all the hassle of wires?


#1 Midnight9746, Aug 12, 2017
If the phone isn't on then by definition it can't respond to anything your PC sends.

You've not said what device you have, and I've never met this situation of a battery being overcharged to the point where the phone won't turn on (I don't know how you would even do that, and as it's dangerous I don't think I want to). If that is really the problem, and it's not just been damaged fatally, then it has an internal resistance and will eventually self-discharge, but I've no idea how long you'd have to wait. I'd be very cautious about trying to drain a battery - make sure there is a suitable resistance between the terminals or you'll have a fire. And deeply draining a lithium battery can destroy it too.

If you give more detail about what you've done and are thinking of doing someone who knows about these things may be able to advise (I'm a physicist rather than a battery expert).
#2 Hadron, Aug 12, 2017
Oh sorry, it's an Alcatel One Touch Evolve 5020T TCT Mobile, and I left it on the charger, slept in and it was overheating and I waited a waited a while, but it still won't turn on or reboot. I tried charging it again, no luck, and I'm not sure what to do now. The last time something overcharged, I was able to use it by now. When on the charger, it still lights up my LED, regardless if the battery is in or not.
#3 Midnight9746, Aug 12, 2017
Phones don't normally overcharge just from leaving them plugged in after they're fully charged. The internal circuitry protects the phone and battery from getting too hot or exceeding safe voltage limits. At least it does when everything is working properly. From your description it sounds like you either have a failed battery or a hardware problem in the phone that is preventing the normal safeguards from doing their job. Given the potential for fire/explosion/melting it would be best to stop using it right away.
I'd remove the battery (note if it's swollen which indicates it's bad), maybe try a different/known good battery if you have one, and if the problem persists write the phone off.
If you really need to get some data from it you may need to enlist the help of a local phone shop or service center.
#4 Fox Mulder, Aug 12, 2017 Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
If I can regain my discord account, I would stop trying to revive it. I appreciate the feedback, but I'll keep looking for a way to get it to turn on.
#5 Midnight9746, Aug 13, 2017
Never used it so not familiar with its interface but shouldn't you be able to log into and maintain your Discord account by just using your PC?

As for your phone, it apparently has a user-replaceable battery so you might want to try replacing it. The Evolve is a somewhat dated model (2013) so if you haven't already replaced the battery it isn't surprising if the battery needs to be replaced.
As others have mentioned, smartphone batteries won't 'overcharge', the charging circuitry stops the process when the battery is fully charged. If things weren't set up that way as an industry standard, it's not like your situation of leaving your phone overnight on its charger is an isolated incident, everyday there would be countless numbers of other people waking up to burned out batteries.
#6 svim, Aug 13, 2017
Thanks Svim!
#7 Midnight9746, Aug 14, 2017