Home Forum

Default Video Player? Where is it?

Hello droids,
So far I've managed to download a file manager app, navigate to sd card and use options there to launch mp4 video files. However, what's the name of default video player in android (2.2), and where can I find it.?

Aside, what's a good media player out there? [free, at least for now]

Related:

#1 Ravi Joshi, Jun 23, 2011
Depending on your phone, the default player is called Gallery or Videos.

Try MoboPlayer as a free universal video player.

#2 Usta, Jun 23, 2011
Thanks Usta. Your suggest was helpful. MoboPlayer is really good.
Your link (in signature) to video trans-coding is great as well (Handbrake).

Aside, I have a quick question re:transcoding. I have a few really compressed wmv files (10mb for 1 hour video) of mostly power point / screen capture that I would like to convert to mp4. I've used ffmpeg/mencoder to first make avi's and then mp4s (can be done directly as well). However the quality of avi's is not good. Do you have suggestion regarding how to create uncompressed avi's ? Also, can you suggest a good website where video transcoding questions can be asked (instead of androidfurums)?
Thanks in advance,
Ravi

#3 Ravi Joshi, Jun 25, 2011
mencoder can do that:
\usr\bin\x64\mplayer\mencoder.exe -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=ffvhuff

This will use the lossless HuffYUV compressor... just keep in mind that the files tend to get really, really big. So scale the video before doing the HuffYUV encoding (-vf scale)

#4 hansschmucker, Jun 25, 2011
@Ravi Joshi,
Ah, I saw your question already in another topic.
Heavily compressed wmv files can be a real pain to convert to another format with a good quality. A lossless conversion is surely the best result as suggested by hansschmucker, but its huge size forces you to go into a second conversion.

I have two favorite places for video discussions: VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists and Doom9's Forum - Powered by vBulletin
Both places have pro users that can help you with almost any video questions. :)

#5 Usta, Jun 25, 2011