Home Forum

Free Online Courses from MIT and Stanford

I saw this on DealNews yesterday.

I signed up for the CS101. It looks very basic but my knowledge of code is less than basic. :)

Related:

#1 Atma, Feb 22, 2012
Me, too. Thanks for the link!

#2 jmar, Feb 22, 2012
See ya in class! :D

#3 Atma, Feb 22, 2012
Me three! See you both there!

Thanks for the link. I'm excited.

#4 BabyBlues, Feb 22, 2012
Nice!!! Does this only apply to Americans or anyone in the world?

#5 Roze, Feb 22, 2012
I think as long as you have an internet connection you can sign up from anywhere. The video lectures aren't live and can be watched at your leisure.

#6 Atma, Feb 22, 2012
I think anyone can sign up as long as you can use you tube.

#7 BabyBlues, Feb 22, 2012
Just signed up for CS101

#8 Mostly Harmless, Feb 22, 2012
This is a video the instructor made for Computer Science 101.

#9 Atma, Feb 22, 2012
Very cool

#10 dan330, Feb 22, 2012
Awesome!

#11 9to5cynic, Feb 22, 2012
I don't get the excitement. Sure, you get video tutorials and a forum, but it's not much different from any other website where you can learn stuff for free.

Here's an example from the website I use the most: Le positionnement en CSS. It's in French, but you get the idea. The C++ tutorial has a free ebook (they all do): it has more than 700 pages. For every chapter of every "course", there's a comment section and there's a forum. If such a website exists in French, there must be one in English, don't you think?

Classes are pretty much the least efficient way to learn stuff. Videos are better, but are far from optimal. The best way, IMO, is text along with pictures. (I'm talking about "computer knowledge", it might be different for other domains.) You can advance with your own rhythm, it's easy to skip or go back, it's easy to find specific keywords, you can copy/paste, there's no trouble understanding what is being said, etc. If you prefer videos, there are more than plenty of them already. ;)

It's not about the availability of information. It's motivation (or the need for a diploma!).

#12 DaSchmarotzer, Feb 22, 2012
I can tell people I'm going to MIfrigginT :D

#13 Atma, Feb 22, 2012
My Master's course I am currently taking (Design for Manufacture and Assembly) is actually using the material from an MIT course.

I have to say, I am pleased that MIT and Stanford are doing this. The ability to audit courses can be very valuable to people already in a career, for boosting their knowledge, or for people who are possibly interested in a certain field of work/study, and want to get an idea if it is for them.

#14 AntimonyER, Feb 23, 2012
I agree.

its good to use this to at least try it out and see if its something you can do or like. Don't want to drop a lot of money by going to mit and realize oops I don't like it.

#15 Dark Jedi, Feb 23, 2012
The intro to CS class at MIT is called 6.001 internally. Back in the late 90s when I was in school there, they taught Scheme with an emphasis on artificial intelligence. That class was no joke. Wondering if this CS101 class is the same curriculum or something else completely.

#16 novox77, Feb 23, 2012
Anyone been contacted about these classes yet? I'm still waiting.

#17 Atma, Mar 13, 2012
I haven't seen anything yet either

#18 BabyBlues, Mar 13, 2012
I signed up for the CS253 - Web Application Engineering

#19 sgsg, Mar 20, 2012
But its a YouTube course I.want to take. Catch 22

#20 SUroot, Mar 20, 2012
lol ... maybe they have transcripts. :p

#21 Atma, Mar 20, 2012
i am teaching .. Asshole 101...

#22 dan330, Mar 21, 2012
I'd sign up but its debatable if I would learn much ;)

#23 SUroot, Mar 21, 2012
I have my Doctorine in that :D

It can be kind of difficult when you get to Asshole 907 :p However persistence is the key :D

#24 argedion, Mar 25, 2012
that is the weedout course.. only true *****ebags make it through to true A-hole dome.

this is the course for SUroot to move to the next level...

#25 dan330, Mar 25, 2012