Home Forum

"Remove apps" is eating my mobile data

I'm using Samsung Galaxy Grand (GT-I9082) with 4.1.2 OS.

When you go to Settings > Data Usage > Mobile, i'm not sure what this "Remove apps" is but it is the #1 data consumer. Could it be a system process? Can anyone enlighten me what that is? And how can I minimize the data that it consumes?

See attached image:
ScreenHunter_03 Jun. 25 16.10.gif

Thanks.

Related:

#1 firnnauriel, Jun 25, 2013
pretty sure this is not a system app/process.

#2 gingersnapgirl, Jun 25, 2013
Easy Uninstaller(Remove App) kinda uses that name, did you install it?

#3 jefboyardee, Jun 25, 2013
It usualy says "removed apps" but that could be a language thing. It usualy means apps that have been uninstalled (the data they used before you uninstalled) :thumbup:

#4 funkylogik, Jun 25, 2013
Almost certain this is what it is. I just tried it myself, it shows as a system app icon(green Android with cube), and it consumed 50k of data in less than a minute without actually doing anything. Suspicious and removed immediately. There's no way an app uninstaller thing should be using 56MB of data, unless it's up to no good. The OP's Samsung Galaxy Grand is very similar to the phone I tried it on, Galaxy Win Duos.

#5 mikedt, Jun 26, 2013
I still can’t understand why anyone would need an uninstaller app, when all they have to do is find it in settings and zap it, unless they perform some other magic with SD remnants.

#6 jefboyardee, Jun 26, 2013
thanks for the replies guys. but no, i don't have that Easy Uninstaller app installed.

after checking right now, the Remove apps is still #1, ahead of Waze, and it's already in 58.65MB, increased by almost 2MB since i posted this thread 2 days ago.

really weird, what could that be? the only app that i regularly use is Waze when mobile data is on...

#7 firnnauriel, Jun 26, 2013
i guess, to help us in resolving this, i'm now sharing the list of my downloaded apps:

#8 firnnauriel, Jun 26, 2013
View attachment 56791

#9 funkylogik, Jun 26, 2013
ouch! is that in WiFi or mobile data?

in my WiFi, it is only 37.23MB out of the 1.02GB total.

what the heck could Remove apps be?

#10 firnnauriel, Jun 26, 2013
"remove apps" is that which u have using data before the app has been uninstalled. I Too got Same Problem BUT i later i have finded out that its was an app which i have unistalled . LIKE i see online videos in MXplayer and it use data, after i have unistalled it showed like "Removed Apps" in Data Usage............:smokingsomb:

#11 arpan_the master, Dec 26, 2013
The best way to prevent any application to not connect to Internet is to install a firewall. I am using droidwall. But it will work when you are rooted. There is a firewall which can be used on non rooted devices as well. Search Google play store.

#12 apple2005, Dec 27, 2013
But I astonished how a removed application is using a data connection? Very unique situation.

#13 apple2005, Dec 27, 2013
It isnt. Lol :D

#14 funkylogik, Dec 27, 2013
You can install a,"Wavelock" app and check it's help on how to use to track down misbehaving apps that can drain resources,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector&hl=en_GB

Follow it's instructions and use over several days.

Also you may want to consider if you are doubling up functions/apps like Weather apps.I used to use them but now just have a Bookmark on my Desktop/browser for my location for weather so I don't have to have a separate app installed.

I've found that some apps don't play nice with the particular version of Android I'm using and or don't play nice with each other and some are just badly written :mad:

HTH :)

#15 PaulS, Dec 27, 2013
I just found out that the "removed apps" is the combination of all the data your previous apps used before deleting them.

#16 my_nameisisaiah, Mar 5, 2014