Home Forum

Tips Things That Make You Feel Old

There comes a time, probably in middle age in most cases, when some little thing triggers a memory and then it dawns on you how long ago it was when that memory was formed. Then suddenly you realize how old you are. ;)

That’s what this thread is all about...

One of those hit me earlier when I saw a news item:
Today marks the twentieth anniversary of the series finale of “Seinfeld.”

Related:

#1 rootabaga, May 15, 2018
There was talk a year ago or so about tearing down a city owned concert hall and building a new one. I well remember when they tore down the old one to build this new one. What a waste I'm thinking. Then it dawns on me. That building is far from new. 55+ years old or more now.
Seems like yesterday when it hosted it's first show.
I don't feel old.. I AM old. :)

#2 olbriar, May 15, 2018
I went to see the original Star Wars films at the cinema, and then I realise how long ago that was.

#3 LV426, May 15, 2018
This quote jumped in my head earlier today (who knows why): "I've heard it said, and it's true I'm sure..."

I couldn't remember where I'd heard it, but I thought it was probably a song from long ago. Correct, though it's much older than I was when I first heard it. It's been covered several times, but I think the version I best remember is the one from Walter Brennan. Of course the fact that I remember when Walter Brennan was alive marks me as old anyway. ;)

Fun song, enjoy...

BTW, "teejus" is southernspeak for "tedious." :D :D :D

#4 rootabaga, May 16, 2018
SO.
MANY.
THINGS.

The 30th anniversary of Back to the Future

30th anniversary of TRON

50th anniversary of Star Trek

7 years since the last shuttle flight ... I watched the Enterprise launch off the 747 live in technicolor sitting on grandpa's lap.

And that damn anniversary of my birth everyone else is so excited to remind me of.
:(

#5 shalemail, May 16, 2018
Time.

#6 no one, May 16, 2018
There are a lot of reminders, but the very first thing that pointedly indicated that age was creeping up on me was a buddy and I were at a table in a little bar one day after work and the waitress called me "sir". Funny how the little, seemingly insignificant things stick with you so clearly through the years.

#7 lunatic59, May 16, 2018
The moon landing almost fifty years ago.

#8 today, May 17, 2018
the shinny glass panel on the bathroom wall....

#9 dan330, May 17, 2018
Well, if you'd stop peeing on it .... :eek:

#10 lunatic59, May 17, 2018
Just now on the news.

35 years. Thirty five YEARS. Since the "pinetar" game.

Royals at Yankees
Brett goes mental.
THIRTY FIVE YEARS AGO.

#11 shalemail, May 18, 2018
Being a loyal Royals fan... that seems like yesterday. But when I think about all of the years I've watched them being nothing more than a farm club... that was a long painful stretch of time. :)

#12 olbriar, May 19, 2018
upload_2018-5-19_11-31-10.png

#13 psionandy, May 19, 2018
Things that make me feel old?
My knees and my back. Years have taken its toll.

#14 Mikestony, May 19, 2018
Me too...and me too. *sigh*

#15 MoodyBlues, May 19, 2018
It's probably not the right place to say "girls born in 2000 shooting makes me feel old".

#16 Shotgun84, May 19, 2018
But seriously cancer did that for me. One of the lucky ones to survive I know, but never felt the same since.

#17 Shotgun84, May 19, 2018
My sweetie dying before me. Too dark.

Girls in ridiculously thight jean things.
It's like they're walking around in pantyhose!

#18 dontpanicbobby, May 20, 2018 at 1:10 AM
They all look twelve years old now...

#19 Dngrsone, May 24, 2018 at 2:36 PM
It's been 26 years since Johnny Carson quit the tonight show.

#20 olbriar, May 24, 2018 at 2:53 PM