Home Forum

Trying to download purchased movie

I'm totally frustrated by now. Been trying to figure this out for a while. What I want to do is download a purchased movie (purchased from Google Play) onto my computer (I eventually plan to view it on my iPod on a flight I'm taking soon).

I am trying to log into my Google Play account on my computer--not my phone--to download the movie I purchased. Anyway, I can't find anything online on how I can get this accomplished other than a Google page saying something about a push pin but I see no push pin. Turns out, someone else was trying to help me and he saw said push pin on his phone.

I cannot verify seeing the push pin because I cannot figure out how to see purchased movies on my phone as I don't see that option in Google Play. This is another issue entirely but may be tied to my main issue.

So, basically, I am hoping someone here may be able to help point me in the right direction on how to do this. I've searched all over the place, posted in various forums but I cannot figure this out. Once I download the movie, I know I'll (most-likely) have to convert it to something the iPad can read but I'll cross that bridge if I can ever get to it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Related:

#1 GadgetRick, Jul 1, 2013
The only time ive heard of "pin" in google terms is about google music where if you "pin" a track, it will stay on your device instead of streaming it so if its the same for movies, thats maybe what the dude meant.
Tbh i dont use gmovies but i kinda thought they had to be played on a google device using the app? Hope im wrong man

EDIT, i suppose if you "pin" it to your android device.. you could then send the file to your pc? (Total guess here lol sorry) :beer:

#2 funkylogik, Jul 1, 2013
Hi GadgetRick, Welcome to AF!! Heres an article on how to do it, yes, you need the app installed.
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2851696?hl=en

#3 LilBit, Jul 1, 2013
Welcome to Android Forums, GadgetRick!

Seems like LilBit has this one covered for you, so let us know if we can help out with anything else. Enjoy your trip, and your movie.:)

#4 damewolf13, Jul 1, 2013
Thanks. That's the article I was referring to. This only explains it on the phone.

I finally figured out how to view purchased movies, it's in a totally different app (makes no sense).

Now, how can I download it on my computer so I can do something with it or do I have to download it to my phone then get it over to my computer to work with it?

Thanks.

#5 GadgetRick, Jul 1, 2013
unfortunately, your purchased movies can be watched on your pc, but you can only stream it. the only way to download a movie is to do it on your device and not on your pc.......this is the only unfortunate thing with the google's play movies.

#6 ocnbrze, Jul 1, 2013
I suppose its all about copyright and preventing piracy :thumbup:

#7 funkylogik, Jul 1, 2013
this is correct. you can't move any of the movies from your device to the pc either. it will not work that way. this is one of the few tactics that the movie studios have devised to combat piracy. the movie is stored within the apps data so you can't move it, copy it, or distribute it.

it is the same idea when you buy blu-rays that have a digital copy. some of them use ultraviolet or other service and you will need an app from your device or you can stream the content on your pc.

#8 ocnbrze, Jul 1, 2013
Yup, it's DRM(Digital Restrictions/Rights Management).

IMO when one pays money for downloaded movies with DRM, it's not really purchasing it, it's more like leasing it, and you're also severely restricted by what devices you can play them on and where you can play them. e.g. Google movies can't be played on Apple iOS devices or outside of the United States. They can also revoke a DRM license any time they like, so you can no longer watch them.

IMO movies with DRM is OK for short term rentals, like a couple of days for a couple of bucks or something, that's fair enough. But I wouldn't want to "buy" any for serious money. I would just buy the DVDs instead, in that way I can rip and transcode them to play on any device I like, and Hollywood, the MPAA, etc, can't really take that away either.

BTW Blu-ray Disc didn't make it to China. Has it's own home-grown system called China Blue High-Definition (CBHD). More than likely because of high Blu-ray Disc licensing and patent costs, and because China likes do it's own thing, because it can.

#9 mikedt, Jul 1, 2013
I was afraid of this. Another reason I'm really hating movies/books/etc distributed this way. You're stuck using them the way they want you to rather than the ay you want to.

Only reason I was trying this is because I have a $50 credit on Google Play from a TV I bought recently. I don't really buy apps so that's a ton of money for me there. Figured I'd use it for something. Guess I'll just rip some DVDs and put them on the iPad. At least I know how to do that.

I appreciate the info. I wish it was easier to find. I love Android and (for the most part) Google but their support is non-existent and that can be frustrating.

#10 GadgetRick, Jul 1, 2013