Samsung Galaxy S8 Forum

Unread email count

After the update to Oreo the stock launcher no longer shows unread email count. It shows a count of inbox emails but resets the count to zero when you open the email app. It used to keep count of unread emails until I read or deleted them. Is there any app that can keep count of unread mail using the stock launcher ?
Thanks

Related:

#1 etsok1, Mar 21, 2018
I am getting the same problem....Android updated 2 days ago and now my unopened emails ( there were 3) does not show on the icon....only when you open the icon, you can see the unread emails

#2 Joe Sama, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:20 PM
I'm sure there are widgets that can show an email count on the homescreen. Many email apps even provide this themselves, though I don't know about the Samsung one (I assume that is the one you are using).

Otherwise badges on app icons are, like the desktops themselves, produced by the launcher, so a third party launcher (which the OP did not want) can do this.

#3 Hadron, Apr 16, 2018 at 12:41 PM
This was working before the update with the default email app

#4 Joe Sama, Apr 16, 2018 at 1:08 PM
The update was a major system update, and the behaviour changed as part of that. We've had many complaints about changes to the notification badges for the text app, and this sounds similar enough that I'm sure it has the same cause.

#5 Hadron, Apr 16, 2018 at 2:16 PM
I just ran across this setting which may relate to your question. On my S8 I go to Settings > Notifications. The top block of settings here is labeled "App Icon Badges". When you click on those words -- not the on/off switch at the right side of the screen -- it opens a page of directions. Toward the bottom of the directions are choices to show the badge with the number or without. I just turned on "Show with number" and the badges became what I think you're looking for.

There's some other good info on that screen. All news to me, so I assume some of it was added with Oreo.

#6 Kevin-B, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:20 PM
The problem is that Oreo and the new App Badge notification system just posts notifications pertaining to the app. It does post the number of notifications but that number is reset if the app is opened. It does not keep count of the number of unread emails or messages, just the total number since the app was last opened. The stock Samsung launcher follows the same setup. Other launchers have add on apps that should be able to show unread numbers , but they rely on the system info from oreo and they also are having this same problem. Still hoping Samsung comes up with a fix for the problem.

#7 etsok1, Apr 17, 2018 at 8:41 AM
Other launchers have the same problem? That's interesting, because on my Pixel 2 (so on Oreo from the word go) with Nova Launcher+TeslaUnread it all works exactly as it always did back to Android 4 and 5 - I get an unread count which persists until I have actually read all of the mails, regardless of whether I clear the notification or enter the app.

There is a link to notifications, because it doesn't show the total for one account which I have set not to sync and not to notify (I just refresh manually/turn sync on if there's something urgent expected, otherwise only use my laptop for that one). But for those I use normally on my phone it works as I'd expect, and has done so with several email apps (not tested the Samsung one, because I don't have a Samsung).

#8 Hadron, Apr 17, 2018 at 12:58 PM
As per Samsung;
As of now, the option to show the badge number count on the application Icons is unavailable. We are not sure if/when this option will be added to the phone due to the fact that this might set incorrect expectation to you.

Samsung is constantly improving and updating our operating systems, and with every improvement there is always a chance an older feature may be changed or removed. We value your input about your favorite features on our devices. We will take this as a valuable feedback.

Hopefully you might be getting all the features that you are expecting in the updates which will be released in the future.

#9 etsok1, Apr 18, 2018 at 9:55 AM
Just install nova launcher and Tesla unread for badges.
And they lived happily ever after
The end.

#10 Dannydet, Apr 18, 2018 at 11:22 AM