Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus Forum

Updates on unlocked phone? How do I know what I have?

I recently made the jump for my wife and I from iOs to Android. We ended up picking up some brand new in box Galaxy s9's to replace our Iphone X's

How can I tell if these were unlocked from Samsung or unlocked from a carrier?

If they are unlocked from Samsung. So I still have to wait for my current carrier to push new updates as they come?

And if it was unlocked from Say.... Sprint.... Being on my canadian carrier now, who pushes the updates to me?

Related:

#1 Ek9max, Jun 14, 2018 at 1:38 AM
The model numbers should confirm you what exact variant S9 Pluses you've got there.
https://www.techwalls.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-sm-g960-g965-model-number-differences/

I know locked carrier ones in the US are usually supplied and sold with a contract. For carrier variant devices, I do believe it is the carriers themselves that push their own updates out, rather than coming directly from Samsung.

#2 mikedt, Jun 14, 2018 at 6:28 AM
Ok thanks for the info. Looks like my phone is a bell or Rogers variant.

I'm using a Telus sim card so that would leave me to believe that it's unlocked.

So when android 8.1 or 9.0 eventually comes out. Where will my uodate be pushed from? Telus? Bell? Or Samsung?

#3 Ek9max, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:29 AM
I use carrier unlocked phones, and I usually get my OTA updates direct from the manufacturer.

#4 Unforgiven, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:38 AM