Allo (Download) Forum

Why use? - Allo

I use sms apps for messaging. They don't require all my contacts install the same app. I don't get the appeal of non sms friendly messaging apps.

That is all.

Related:

#1 edwhit05, Oct 22, 2016
I installed it because it was the thing to do. It didn't take me very long to see the utter uselessness of the app and uninstall it.

#2 The_Chief, Oct 23, 2016
Why couldn't they have just made this an update to hangouts? Google ruins so many good products by competing with themselves.

#3 Rob, Oct 23, 2016
I don't have it, but it would be disabled or uninstalled just like Hangouts. I have no use for either. I prefer Chomp, Textra for texting and MMS.

#4 zuben el genub, Oct 24, 2016
I use textra as well. Other than that i don't need another messaging ap other than Facebook messenger for fb friends i don't have numbers for

#5 edwhit05, Oct 25, 2016
Textra for me as well.

#6 kmf, Oct 25, 2016
Hangouts, Google Messenger and Allo should be one app.

#7 tube517, Oct 25, 2016
Also on Textra. Allo is pretty useless for me..

#8 Clement04, Oct 28, 2016
Also on Textra have been for about a year, love the looks and feel of allo but just needs text integration

#9 kenytelly, Oct 31, 2016
To me Google should fuse Hangouts with Android Messages so that one can sms OR call/video/text on the internet.

Then they should add the Google Assistant to this app in the same way as this works on Google Allo.

Finally, remove these prototypes and continue working on this app.

EDIT.
also remove Google Duo...

#10 pdp10, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:53 AM
@pdp10 Why Google Duo, it seems to be the only one thing that really works flawlessly from Google?

#11 KBU2, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:50 AM
@KBU2 It does work indeed as well as all the other apps. My point was just that they should take the best features of these apps and fuse them into one application rather than playing around.

Yes, I like the simple way Google Duo allows one to have a video call. But that is how Hangouts should be... oh here again..! :)

#12 pdp10, Jun 14, 2018 at 11:54 AM
Give it a while, they will combine all or parts of them, give it a new name. Then in a year or so split them all out with more new names to await yet another future merger.

#13 Unforgiven, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:07 PM
Chat (from Allo) is going to Android Messages. Allo's development is on hold (whatever that means).

Once the carriers all get on board, then they have RCS/Chat wrapped up into Android Messages. Let's hope it works (but I have my doubts)

#14 tube517, Jun 14, 2018 at 4:38 PM