Home Forum

Do the battery saver APPs really work?

There's so many of them out there I don't see how it could possibly make a difference...some people post reviews saying they worked wonders for them but I've really just never bothered with it...

Related:

#1 Bluz, Dec 29, 2011
Essentially battery saver app do stuff like cut off your data stream, internet connection etc based on criteria you set. So yes you could say it will help to save your battery power so as to speak.

#2 sohguanh, Dec 29, 2011
Some do work, like stated above, but I have found it better to take non-app measures of battling it. I have a battery optimization guide you should take a look at if you are having troubles.

Android Battery Optimization Guide

Feel free to tell me your thoughts about it as well, I'm always trying to improve!

#3 AndroidAdvntge, Dec 29, 2011
It works best for people with data plans and are connected indefinitely and has autosync and apps that sync every now and then. The sync process and the internet connection are huge battery eaters.

#4 chanchan05, Dec 29, 2011
So essentially you're saying a battery saver is a elongated version of Advanced Task Killer or other task managers?

With that in mind, would the battery saver be idling on the phone its protecting? That seems like it would kill batteries too. I recommend Task Killer, it won't idle processes.

#5 AndroidAdvntge, Dec 30, 2011
Any battery saver app worth it's salt is nothing at all like a task killer. A real battery saver app (like Juice Defender) will turn off data when the screen is off or dim the screen at appropriate times, etc.

A fake battery saver app will "kill" apps that are supposedly "running," even though those apps are just cached in RAM. That killing process actually uses up more battery life.

#6 aysiu, Dec 30, 2011
I don't follow how an app that is used and terminated within 2 minutes would use more battery life than an app that, like you said, controls your phone's data connectivity. I'm not denying that battery savers work, I'm just saying what's the point.

I'm up for debating though, knowledge is power and I think there is knowledge to be had here.

#7 AndroidAdvntge, Dec 30, 2011
If you don't follow it, then learn about it. You can read here:
Overview | How to use JuiceDefender

And here:
http://androidforums.com/android-applications/335110-why-you-dont-need-task-killer.html#post2681361

#8 aysiu, Dec 30, 2011
Debate.... Lost....
Thank you for the links. My eyes have been open, and ignorance averted.

#9 AndroidAdvntge, Dec 30, 2011