Home Forum

Yanny or Laurel?

The current interweb war. So, which do you hear?

Related:

#1 Clementine_3, May 16, 2018
I hear Ye-o-yee

#2 Daniel Fernandes, May 16, 2018
It sounds like the guy that was supposed to be recording it was slightly drunk or the guy that was talking was slightly drunk or maybe a little bit of both :D

It's definitely not the best quality but I think that is done on purpose (for ambiguity :)) with maybe a dual recording with different frequencies to see what kind of tone deaf are you :)

There must be some interesting trick to this :)

But I hear "Yarrie" but sounds close to the Yanny that is what they say I am supposed to hear :)

I definitely don't hear "Laurel" I can't hear anything like that at all.

I hear Yanny or "Yarrie" but very close to Yanny :)

#3 Stinky Stinky, May 16, 2018
upload_2018-5-16_18-57-44.png

mmmmm,,, rich beef sausages.

#4 psionandy, May 16, 2018
Does anyone hear Laurel? I certainly don't.

#5 LV426, May 16, 2018
Nope, not even slightly. But I'll try later through better equipment than my phone's speakers, in case there's a frequency response element to this.

#6 Hadron, May 16, 2018
upload_2018-5-16_21-15-10.png

#7 psionandy, May 16, 2018
OK, it's definitely a frequency response thing, though there's a psychological element as well I think.

When I played it originally I was using my phone's speakers. And then I heard "Yanni".

I later played it through my laptop's speakers and heard "Laurel".

Then, most interestingly, I played the video using a pair of decent mid-range headphones and a USB DAC/amp and could hear both words were in there.

So, with the smallest speakers, which being small phone speakers naturally handle mids and treble better than bass, I was hearing Yanni. The larger speakers of the laptop gave me Laurel, while the highest quality gear let me hear both. So my own experience is that it depends on the gear you are using to listen, and probably also on your tonal discrimination, which varies naturally between individuals, and perhaps your range of hearing (though as I'm too old to hear the very high sounds any longer I doubt that is so significant: "Yanni" has actually been added at higher frequencies than the original word, yet despite my age I heard that first. Yes, someone has done the obvious and taken a spectrum analyser to it ;)).

But there's also a psychological/perceptual element too. When I first listened through my phone's speakers I heard Yanni, clearly and unambiguously. But after listening to it with different gear I now hear "Laurel" when I go back to the phone speakers...

#8 Hadron, May 16, 2018 Last edited: May 16, 2018

#9 Xyro, May 16, 2018
I played around with crap equipment (laptop, chrome, Ears chrome plugin). Erase frequencies above 5000Hz and you get Laurel, erase the ones below 600Hz and you get Yanny. Maybe two audios merged together in bad quality, then the difference being our brain hears both but chooses one over the other.

#10 chanchan05, May 16, 2018
I'm the opposite of hadron, i hear Laurel on my phone but Yanny through decent JBL speakers with my Chromebook.

The mystery has been solved but I won't spill the beans...

#11 Clementine_3, May 16, 2018
I listened on my phone and a laptop, and could only hear laurel, even in the high-pitched part of example video I posted above. On my desktop, with moderately better speakers, I could hear both, and the example video was much more informative.

#12 Xyro, May 16, 2018
This is simply a matter of perception of a phonetic sound. It's also evidence of severe cultural decay: we have adults, high school and college graduates, who have NO IDEA how things work in the world... they hold the vastness of human knowledge in the palm of their hands, but they're consumed with mindless fodder like this. My 2¢

#13 The_Chief, May 17, 2018
I hear both no matter which device I've used for playback. My dogs just bark at it.

#14 lunatic59, May 17, 2018
What exactly is "yanny"? It just sounds like a bad pronunciation of laurel to me, and so maybe it's misinterpreted?

#15 mikedt, May 17, 2018
Yanni was some Greek folk singer from the 90's I think.. Big hair and all that like he was from the 80's instead

#16 bcrichster, May 17, 2018
My little sister's nickname is Yani. So.... :D

#17 chanchan05, May 17, 2018
OK, I'd never heard of either. :D

#18 mikedt, May 17, 2018
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanni

#19 bcrichster, May 18, 2018
I clearly hear Yanny. But I saw people posting on Facebook that they here Laurel. How is that even possible? :)

#20 LoopLoop, May 18, 2018
I found a different recording and heard laurel.

#21 Unforgiven, May 18, 2018
Yanni

#22 dontpanicbobby, May 18, 2018
Same here, listened to it on a couple different speakers to see what all the fuss was about.

#23 kate, May 18, 2018
Can someone explain what this is?

#24 PhilipX20, May 18, 2018
People hearing something through different audio freqs and speakers, changing the perception of what they THINK they hear..

#25 bcrichster, May 18, 2018
Well, I heard yanny but I don't really care. I left Twitter because of its stupid drama, like this thing.

#27 PhilipX20, May 18, 2018